These sushi rolls are fun to make and easy to take into work for a tasty vegan lunch that packs a nutritional punch!!
4 sheets of nori
170g uncooked rinsed quinoa
100ml rice wine vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup
½ an avocado, sliced lengthways
1/2 a cucumber, sliced into thin batons
- 1 carrot grated
1 red pepper thin slices
Handful of sprouts
2 tbsp tamari & juice of 1 lime, mixed together
Pickled ginger & wasabi if you wish!
- Cook the quinoa in a pan of boiling water according to pack instructions. Drain off any excess water and set aside to cool.
- Mix the maple syrup with rice vinegar and mix through the quinoa.
- To put together the sushi rolls, place your bamboo mat down with cling flim over the top and pop a nori sheet on top of the cling film.
- Spread ¼ of the cooled quinoa over the nori, leaving a gap around the border (at least 2cm).
- Place slices of avocado vertically in the centre on top of the quinoa, then add the cucumber batons, pepper, carrot and sprouts.
- Finally place slices of pickled ginger and dots of wasabi – depending on how hot you like it!
- To roll your sushi (here’s the fun bit…) using the bamboo mat for help, bring the end closest to you up and tightly roll over the filling, pressing together as you go,
- Slice the roll in half and the repeat with the other nori sheets.
- Dip in tamari & lime juice and enjoy.