You feel that? Summer is on the way! Sure, we aren’t going to reach the glorious heat of Spain but there are definitely some rays sneaking through. If you’re looking for a great salad recipe for your next picnic, have a go at this delicious recipe from our buddies at Hillmotts!
- 6 parsnips
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 250 g puy lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 50 g walnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Peel and trim the parsnips, cutting them into batons approximately 5cm long and 1cm thick. Finely chop the shallot and crush the garlic.
2. Bring the stock to the boil, add the puy lentils and bay leaf before simmering gently for 25–30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Drain the lentils, discard the bay leaf and set aside.
3. Place the walnuts on a baking tray and toast in the oven until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove the tray from the oven, scoop out the walnuts, and add the parsnips in their place. Drizzle with the olive oil and roast for 35 minutes until golden.
4. Make the dressing by whisking together the walnut oil, vinegar, honey, mustard and garlic. Season and stir in the garlic and shallots.
5. In a bowl, toss together the lentils, walnuts, parsnips and dressing. Place the watercress or rocket onto plates, pile on the lentil salad on top and enjoy!