This winter “Christmassy” squash salad is sweet, filling and delicious! It is packed full of high-nutrient superfoods such as kale, cranberries, pistachios and red quinoa - why not give it a try this Christmas?
- 2 Baby squashes
- 1 Cup of red quinoa
- 2 Satsumas, pelled and segmented
- 2 Cups of kale - stems removed and leaves chopped thinly into ribbons
- 1/2 Cup of pistachio halves
- 2 Cups of dried cranberries
- 1 Cup basil leaves, chopped - save some for the garnish
- 1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- A knob of ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A little maple syrup or agave
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190
- Pop 2 whole baby squash in the over for 45 minutes
- Cook the quinoa as per packet instructions, bringing to the boil then reducing to a simmer for 15 minutes
- Stir and cover again, allow the steam to leave the quinoa light and fluffy.
- Make the dressing, by blending the ginger, oil, lemon juice, chopped basil syrup and seasoning into a liquid emulsion
- Once the Quinoa has cooled, mix it with the kale in a bowl then slowly drizzle the dressing until well coated
- Gently fold in the satsuma segments, pistachios and cranberries and season as required.
- Take the squashes from the oven and slice a 'lid' off the top of each. Scoop out the seeds and stuff the middle with your salad mix.
- Place back in the oven for 10 mins before removing again and serving with a fresh green leafy salad.